Pages

10 April 2019

Women's Magazines are Not Thriving

Aside from terrible cover lines, stories that underestimate the intelligence of their readers, and predictable fashion spreads that present an extremely narrow idea of female beauty, what's wrong with today's ladymags?
- Jezebel: Nobody is Buying Ladymags these Days

That about says it all really. Mainly, stories that have nothing real or unique. That's why I seldom pick up any magazines now. I still feel a loyalty to the few Canadian magazines like (Canadian Living and Chatelaine) and, I admit, Martha Stewart's magazine almost always gets me to at least pick it up from the grocery store aisle.

I used to buy the US women's magazines too. The covers with great colours, decorating ideas and articles about how to improve so many things... but the articles are still the same, the covers are still great and tempting, but not tempting enough. The content inside just doesn't have enough to offer. It's very repetitive. Plus, what do they have that I can't find online?

I don't like seeing the end, or the troubles, for the glossy magazines. They used to have an elegance, a lustre for life. I don't find that same feeling from many websites or blogs. You can't pick up a blog at the grocery store, stick it in your purse and then have the treat of flipping through the pages later when you've got your coffee, maybe even a chocolate bar or something else kind of yummy and not really good for you.